Safeguarding adults is about protecting those at risk of harm from suffering abuse or neglect. Abuse and neglect can occur anywhere. It can occur in your own home or a public place, while you are in hospital or in a college or care home. You may be living alone or with others. The person causing the harm may be a stranger to you, but more often than not the person is known.
Abuse of any description is wrong. By reporting abuse you can help bring it to an end.
To report a concern about an adult please contact Herefordshire Council:
- 01432 260715 (weekdays 9am-5pm)
- 0330 123 9309 (after 5pm, weekends and public holidays)
- Email your concerns using the referral form to email@example.com
- Or write to: Adult Safeguarding, Herefordshire Council, Adults and Wellbeing, Elgar House, Holmer Road, Hereford, HR4 9BD
- If someone is injured or in immediate danger dial 999
- If there is no emergency but you think a crime may have been committed ring West Mercia Police on 0300 333 3000 or 101
You can find referral forms and guidance for completing them on the Herefordshire Safeguarding Adults Board website.
Types of abuse
There are many forms of abuse and neglect, including:
- Physical abuse
- Domestic violence
- Sexual abuse
- Psychological abuse
- Financial or material abuse
- Modern slavery
- Discriminatory abuse
- Organisational abuse
- Neglect and acts of omission
It is abuse whether or not it is intentional.
You can also find more information about types of abuse, what happens when you report abuse, and the work being done by social care services and other professionals to protect adults in Herefordshire on the Herefordshire Safeguarding Adults Board website.